-->

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Winning Stick

So I've had a lot of spare time on my hands lately.  A LOT.  Work has been extremely slow, which means I've been home during the day sans the kiddos.  I have had no trouble keeping myself busy, that's for sure.  Not only have I had time to do some crafts, I've also had time to read other blogs and work on some new blog layouts.  I am REALLY enjoying this being at home stuff.

I ran across an awesome idea on Modge Podge Rocks today.  Lori, from Designing Moms came up with what she calls the "winning stick". See her post here.

This is such an awesome positive feedback system for kiddos.  If there's one thing I love more than a handy tip for getting kids to follow through, it's a crafty tip!  This was certainly a soul snack for me today. (scroll down for pics)

It's basically a stick (I used a left over piece of trim from the bathroom shelf makeover) with different patterned paper to dileneate levels and a clothes pin to move up or down based on behavior.  I love the idea of Alex having to physically move his clip himself.  I know this  has to help things sink in a bit.

The only thing I did different was that I didn't paint the stick.  I was ready for a some instant gratification and had no time for paint drying. :)  Instead, I picked two sheets of scrapbook paper that I had on hand.  I used mod podge to adhere the paper to the stick and then stapled both ends of the ribbon at the top before mod podging that last strip on the wood.  It was so easy and I am so, so anxious to introduce it to Alex!

I'm still trying to come up with guidelines for how this will work for us.  I think we'll start with his clip in the middle and when he doesn't do something we've asked him to do (which is very regular these days) we'll ask him to move his clip down.  When we catch him doing something the first time we ask, we'll ask him to move it up.  If he reaches the top there will be a reward of some sort...still working on that.

And here's Alex's new "winning stick" (Thanks Lori!)











No comments:

Post a Comment